Phonak hearing aids are known for their reliability and cutting-edge technology. However, as with all devices, you may occasionally encounter issues. This guide specifically addresses troubleshooting for charging issues, such as encountering a solid red light during the charging process.
The guide is applicable to the Phonak Audeo M, Bolero M, or Paradise P Rechargeable Hearing Aids series.
Recognizing Symptoms of Charging Issues
If one of your hearing aids is functioning normally (i.e., flashing light when placed in the charger, irrespective of the color), but the other exhibits a solid red light, this indicates a charging issue.
Follow these two steps for an initial diagnosis:
- Switch the hearing aid displaying a solid red light to the other charging port. If the charging light starts flashing, the hearing aid is fine; the issue lies with the charger.
- If the light remains solid red even in the second charging port, it likely indicates a problem with the hearing aid itself.
Hard Resetting a Phonak Rechargeable Hearing Aid
If your hearing aid displays a persistent solid red light, it’s time to perform a hard reset. Here’s how:
- Hold down the button on the hearing aid toggle switch for 20 seconds.
- During these 20 seconds, the hearing aid will likely power on, chime, and power off again. Don’t release the button until the 20 seconds are up.
- This process resets the battery by putting the hearing aid into shipping mode. To reactivate the battery, place the hearing aid back in the charger for 5 seconds.
- You might need to repeat this step twice for it to work effectively.
After resetting, check the light on the hearing aid:
- If it begins to flash, the problem has been solved.
- Flashing red means it will take 2-3 hours for a full charge.
- Flashing yellow indicates 1-2 hours to a full charge.
- If the light flashes green, it means only a short charging period is required.
- A solid green light signifies a full charge.
However, if the light remains solid red, consult your audiologist for assistance. Your aid may need to be sent to Phonak for repair.
Identifying and Resolving Charger Problems
If one side of your charger works while the other doesn’t, this likely indicates a charger issue. The most common problem is dirty battery contacts or incorrect contact being made.
Here’s how to clean the contacts:
- Dip a q-tip in rubbing alcohol.
- Gently rub the q-tip in the charger ports to remove any debris.
If cleaning doesn’t work, you may need to purchase a new charger. This could be from the audiologist who sold you the hearing aids or from an online marketplace like Amazon.
Hearing Aids This Guide Applies To:
|Phonak Audeo Series|
This guide should assist most users in troubleshooting Phonak hearing aid charging issues. However, if problems persist, it’s always best to consult a professional to get the devices repaired.