For the modern hearing aid user, understanding the inner workings of your device is essential. Phonak, a leading provider of hearing aids, has developed a unique system that allows the user to reboot their rechargeable hearing instruments. This feature brings several benefits, but it’s vital to know when and how to use it.
Understanding the Need to Reboot
Electronics, much like humans, can become stressed with too much input. This is especially true for hearing aids, which rely on complex digital signal processing and substantial memory to provide accurate responses to various sound environments.
Why Phonak Exclusively Offers This Ability
- Memory Limitations: The memory on a hearing aid processing chip is not infinite. Continuous use of all applications may need the device to refresh or reset.
- System Refresh: A simple reboot refreshes all the system memory registers, allowing them to start over again. Please note that there is no need to reboot hearing instruments on a regular schedule.
- Preventing Repairs: Phonak’s reboot option helps prevent and reduce unnecessary repairs.
The Benefit of Phonak’s Reboot Option
- Less Service or Repair Requests: No one wants to send the hearing aids in for repair.
- No Unnecessary Waiting: Patients do not have to be without their hearing aid(s).
Use this technique if your hearing aid(s) is in an error state, such as:
- Hearing aid(s) not charging
- Hearing aid(s) demonstrating irregular indicator light patterns in the charger
- Hearing aid(s) not turning on when removing from the charger
- Hearing aid(s) not lasting all day
How to Perform a Reboot: Step-by-Step Instructions
If you find yourself experiencing any of the above issues, follow these instructions to reboot your hearing aid(s):
- Press the lower part of the volume control button for 15 seconds.
- It does not matter if the hearing aid(s) is switched on or off before you start pressing the button.
- Ignore any indicator lights you may see while holding the button down.
- There is no light or audible notification at the end of the 15 seconds.
- Place the hearing aid(s) in the power-connected charger and wait until the indicator light blinks green.
- This can take up to 30 seconds.
- The hearing aid has rebooted and is ready to use.
- If the hearing aid(s) do not begin to blink green, contact your audiologist.
Phonak’s unique ability to reboot rechargeable hearing instruments is a beneficial feature that can save you time and reduce the need for repairs. Remember, as a Phonak user, you don’t have to tackle these issues alone. Always feel free to contact your audiologist if you have any problems or need further assistance. Your hearing aid is an essential part of your daily life, and understanding how to care for it ensures that you can continue to enjoy all the sounds around you.